Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween Shadowbox

I LOVE to decorate for Halloween.  I don't like anything gross or scary (because then my boys won't go into their own bedroom by themselves).  The boys had a day off from school so I decided to put them to work making my decorations for me. Here is what I was trying to copy: bat frame

So first I have to explain that I bought a drawer from the local university's surplus store.  I love all the tray scrapbooking decor that is popular right now but didn't think $20-$30 was worth it when I can just use a drawer.  So bought one that is a little bigger than I thought, but hey I only paid $3 for it.  My husband just loved the idea that I bought a drawer too.  Who wouldn't?  While I was at the surplus I also bought an old medical book and some chemistry glassware (because yes I am a science nerd) which actually fits in perfectly for Halloween.

 So here is the drawer- the boys mod podged some pages of the book in the drawer.

 Then I cut some cardboard from an old box to fit into the drawer.  I ripped a big hole in the center and the boys painted it black.

 I cut bats out of shiny paper and the boys put red glitter glue eyes on the bats.

 

We taped the bats in the drawer, hung them with string, and glued them to the frame.  I bought the "Boo" from the dollar section at Target.  Viola!  I think it looks better than the original and the boys loved helping make it.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment