Saturday, May 24, 2014

Summer Splash!

I like to do something different each year for summer with the kids.  Sometimes there is something I think we need to work on- like one year I really just wanted to kids to learn to be okay with just getting dirty, so we went to the creek a lot that year.  Last year I did a whole program of activities that I ended up having way too many activities planned. I know- "too many" how does that happen? Click here to see the "Summer Fun Calendar".  This year we need to work on a few things, like sharing and getting along, and with a son who has high anxieties I wanted to try to help him in the process too.  So we are making a fun "chart" for the kids to fill out.


They have to complete some tasks/ behaviors and they can stamp a square (I have a little feet stamp).  Once they fill a line (section of a "wave") they get to spin for a prize.  I made the first few easy so that hopefully they love it.  Here are the tasks:


I just used leftover scrapbooking supplies and used the back of another reward chart.  Then I made a spinning wheel.  I wanted to make a nice wood one but it was going to require trips to stores and a drill.  So I went way ghetto and used an old fan we have instead.  I really don't like shopping with my 4 year old.  He's a runner.




I took off the front of the fan and unscrewed the cap, then poked the cardboard wheel on the screw in front of the blades.  Then I just screwed the cap back on.

I was thinking the kids could just spin it with their hands, but they really want to plug it in and turn it on and then stop it.  It shouldn't fly off so we'll have to try it.

I didn't want to break the bank either so the prizes are all simple, easy, and cheap.  It's a pretty easy chart to fill out.  That being said, we've done canning jar reward programs with 2 inch size pom-poms to fill the jar with that took over 3 months to fill.  Who knows how long this will take for them this time.

Have a great summer!  I think ours will be fun- and hopefully less stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment