Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Lego Crayons


So as you know I am on my 3rd Lego birthday party preparations... we have a lego minifigure mold so I decided to make lego crayons.  Simple right?  Of course says pintrest.  And I believe.


We have a TON of restaurant crayons and extra broken ones from school so I thought this would be the perfect way to use up all those crayons we have.  So take the paper off, brake the crayons and put in the mold.  Bake at 350 for about 10 minutues and wah lah!


Here is where it gets tricky- you have to somehow get these silicone molds out of the oven without the melted wax sploshing about.  Finally I got smart and put them on a baking sheet- so much easier to take out!  Then you have to let them cool down a bit (and then I put them in the freezer).  And you have to be SUPER careful taking them out of the mold, otherwise you have a bunch of headless crayons.

I have to say the more quality crayons worked out so much better!  The cheap ones left a layer of wax.  If I were more OCD I would make them all over again using good crayons but I don't have the energy and it's just for kids.  It took a good crayon/ crayon and a half to fill each well and mixing different types of crayons doesn't work very well.

They turned out pretty cute- for all the effort it took I don't know that I would do it again.  But it works.  Now to figure out how to get wax off my molds...  don't fail me now pintrest!

No comments:

Post a Comment